Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Analysis#2

The Mulberry tree by Vincent Van Gogh : Formalism and Structuralism Painting

It is painted on canvas with an oil color. This painting was so important to van Gogh that he wrote about it three times in letters to his brother and sister, commenting that he believed it was the best of his mulberry tree paintings.  I have ever seen this art of work at Norton Simon Museum.  This painting caught my eyes becasue it attracted me very much.  The tree stands alond at the middle of a field with coil and curl relieves.  It gave me a feeling of chaos in the midst of confusion because the color of the painting was melancholy.  When I stepped back and shallow watched the picture, I felt relaxed, and I felt like I was watching the tree in the field.  However, when I saw the picture closely, I frowned, and it made me feel dazzled.
Van Gogh’s painting is formalism and structuralism because he used the principles of Impressionism and loosened up his brushwork Vincent's best of this series showed his expressive style and bold color choices, which were always imaginative but equally inspired.  The elements included color, line, shape and texture rather than realism, context, and content.  This painting is at once more somber and spiritual in mood.  Elements in the picture were so harmonious very well.  There were several differences of relieves.  A relief on the tree was coil and curl.  He wanted to express his feeling.  At the same time, he may also used of structuralism because the artist used his pieces of art to communicate, to fight against, or to express their feeling thru the hidden meaning in the picture itself.  The picture’s meaning may effect to political in his society at that time.  I think he tried to tell the audient that he was violently upset in mind, but he had to be in the world of tremendous changes.   


Marcel Duchamp's fountain; Ready made : porcelain urinal
 Is it fountain?
I found the good example of Structuralism which is Marcel Duchamp’s fountain.  He used of object to inform the idea behind the art.  I think Structuralism is more difficult to understand than Formalism.  A sculpture which is a man toilet and a name which is a stream of water that is forced up to the air do not associate with each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment