Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reflection#6

What is the meaning of a sign?
I drove a car on a main road at night in Thailand.  I saw a car at the corner was going to U turn.   Then I gave a winking sign because I would not stop for him.  He stopped for me.  On the other hand, when I got an opportunity to learn a new world, I drove a car on a main road at night in the USA two years later.  In the same situation, the car at a winding course fast made a U turn.  I stepped on a break without delay.  I learned that people in different country have a different understanding of sign.  The meaning of the sign depends on the period of time and part of the world, but it is in the same category.  In my understanding, sign is something in common that gives the meaning to people in the society have the same sense of understanding.  According to Bakhtin’s theory that language is never unity, sign is similar to the language.  It is flexible and depended on people’s idea in that society.  Some signs have the history background to be told by generation to generation such as religion sign.  Moreover, sign can be created by a small group of people to use in a specific point of view.  I have ever joined in the world scout.  Before I went there, I learn a sign of roaming about a forest.  I think if I had not participated in this camp, I would have had this kind of knowledge.   

No comments:

Post a Comment