Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reflection#5

“Language is never unitary”
Imagine ten people stand in the line and whisper continually.  First person starts to whisper to the second person behind, the second person whisper the third, the third continually whisper, and go on to the last person in the line.  A sentence which the last person in the line speaks out loud always changes a form of sentence and meaning.  People in the same country and culture, but they have a different experience.  They can define the meaning of the sentence differently.  Every language changes all the time.  People in a new generation will continuously create a new vocabulary.  I try to compare adult’s conversation to teenager’s conversation.  Adults‘conversation is longer sentence but more meaningful than the teenagers is.  The teenagers will speak short but not thoroughly understand.  In the individual group of people will set up a new kind of words or slang, knowing between people in the group and enlarge to general society, and become common words.  Moreover, the feeling of the speaker has impact to the conversation.  A speaker speaks the same sentence but shows the different mood.  The meaning of the sentence can be changed.  Thus, I agree to Bakhtin’s theory that language is never unity.  I am the one who is not English native speaker.  I really cannot show my feeling very well when I speak English, but I really know what I want to say.  My face sometimes looks angry, but I do not mean that.  I cannot naturally show exact feeling because I do not really get into the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment